The Mount Holly Fire Department recently, through research, found out the department has been serving the citizens of Mount Holly for over 101 years. In March of 1914 the then Town of Mount Holly formed a "Public Safety Committee." As a result of this committee the first fire chief was elected for the town and the fire department began. The department originally operated as a volunteer-only department.
Below are a few important dates:
July 13, 1914 - Fire Chief A.D. West was elected as the first fire chief
1922 - The first fire truck was purchased for $3700 from the O.J. Childs Corporation
1925 - Sleeping quarters were setup for volunteer firefighters
1927 - Chief Patterson was instructed to put a firefighter on duty to answer calls at all times
1928 - Chief Hobbs was instructed to purchase one American La-France and a Hose Car for $7500
1937 – Firefighters were hired 24hrs a day pay rate of $15-$18 per week
1964 - Fire Dept. moved from City Hall to 309 N. Main Street
2000 - Merger of Mount Holly Fire Department, Mount Holly Life Saving Crew and Catawba Heights VFD.
The Mount Holly Fire Department will celebrate this anniversary at an open house to be held at the Headquarters Station located at 433 Killian Avenue on October 10th from 10am-4pm. Please put this on your calendar we will have food, events and tours of the fire department throughout the day.