Solid Waste Collection
The Solid Waste Division came from humble beginnings of being housed in a small out-building, one flat bed truck and 2 employees. Today the City has a fleet of 6 specialized garbage collection vehicles and 16 fulltime employees. We as a City have come a long way -once dumping garbage onto a flat bed truck to utilizing 96 gallon curbside collection containers.
The city provides a 96 gallon green refuse and a 96 gallon blue recycle container to each residential unit served at no cost. Each container will be numbered and assigned to a specific residential address. These containers are the property of the City of Mount Holly and are not to be defaced, damaged or removed from the assigned address. The City will repair or replace the containers as needed. Keep your containers clean by washing them with mild soap and water; the city is not responsible for the cleanliness of your containers.
There are several things to remember when placing your rollout container by the curbside:
- The collection truck must have access to your container. Place it three feet away from trees, mailboxes, parked cars, utility poles and other rollout containers.
- Place the container within two feet of the curb and three feet of the mailbox with the handle facing away from the curb.
- The collection truck is on a scheduled route. It is difficult for the truck to return to your address if the garbage was missed because it was not put out correctly or was put out late.
- Containers should be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 am on your collection day. Remove your empty containers by midnight of your collection day. Containers should not be left on the curb during the weekend. Your cooperation in abiding by this requirement helps keep Mount Holly Beautiful.
- Do not put concrete, dirt, rocks, hot ashes, batteries, chemicals, flammable liquids or liquid paint in the rollout container.
Construction, remodeling, metal or demolition debris cannot be put into the container. Dead animals or hazardous waste should never be placed in the rollout container.
- Yard waste cannot be put in your rollout containers. N.C. law requires that yard waste be collected separate from garbage. Your yard waste will be collected on the same day as your garbage and go to different facility for processing. You can put your yard waste in a standard 32 gallon trash can, just write "YARD WASTE" on the container. If using bags, use clear bags. These can be bought where lawn and garden supplies are sold.
- Larger yard waste like limbs and shrub clippings must be stacked at the curb, not in the street.
If you have any questions pertaining to solid waste collection services please feel free to call us at 704-827-9726.
Bulk Item Collection
As of July 1, 2015, the bulk item collection process has changed. For reference, bulk items are items that you place curbside that consist of couches, chairs, desks, chest of drawers, etc. for pick up by the Solid Waste Department.
Please follow the below steps for bulk item collection:
- Visit the Municipal Complex
- Pay a flat $15 fee for each bulk item
- An orange collection sticker will be issued to you
- Take the item to the curb for pick up on the 2nd or 4th week of each month
- Place the orange sticker on your bulk item
- City will collect the bulk item(s) when the sticker is present
The collection process for appliances, tires, mattresses and box springs follows the bulk item collection, as listed above. The below fees remain unchanged:
- Appliances $25.00
- Tires (off the rim) $5.00 per tire
- Mattress $20.00
- Box Spring $5.00
Please note that the City does not pick up computer monitors or televisions. Your Street & Solid Waste Department is always here to assist you. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 704-827-9726.
The City of Mount Holly is pleased to announce that recycling services are now being provided by the City's Streets and Solid Waste Department employees. This comes on the heels of the City Council approving the Full Story ››
Recycling in Mount Holly has taken another step forward. Mount Holly has enacted a Mandatory Business Recycle Program. All businesses and churches were furnished with a 95 gallon wheeled recycle container in the fall of 2013. Full Story ››