Search Results

Help Desk


Can I propose an amendment or change to the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance or City Code?

Last Updated: April 18, 2018

An amendment to the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance and/or City Code, can be initiated by City staff at the direction of City Council.  If the text amendment involves the Zoning and/or Subdivision Ordinance, two public hearings must be held, the first before the Planning Commission for a recommendation on the matter, and the second before City Council for a decision on the proposed amendment.  This is usually done to address an issue occurring inside the City limits or ETJ, or to account for uses that may not have been included within previous Ordinances. However, an individual may also propose to amend the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance and/or City Code by submitting an Application for a Text Amendment.

It is important that the individual seeking such an amendment consult with Planning & Development staff to address the best course of action.  For example, a text amendment may be proposed to allow a use, such as a restaurant, in all Heavy Industrial Districts. A better option, due to incompatibility issues, may be to seek a rezoning of a particular property, which allows restaurants as a permitted use.

The Application for a Text Amendment may be obtained from this web site by referencing the ""Related Documents" section, located on the right side of the Zoning home page or by visiting the Zoning office on the 2nd Floor of the Municipal Complex, located at 400 E. Central Avenue, Mount Holly, NC. All applications must be returned to the Zoning Office in person. The application must be completed and include the required fee before application will be accepted."

Kaleidoscopic, Inc.

Design and Code by Kaleidoscopic, Inc.
Powered By PageCraftCMS