Search Results

Help Desk


Can I build a home or other structure in a floodplain?

Last Updated: April 18, 2018

Prior to any man made activity in the 100 year floodplain, the owner must obtain a Floodplain Development Permit (FDP). Floodplain Development Permits are issued for new construction of homes, accessory buildings and fences, and the placement of fill dirt. Once the Floodplain Administrator receives the FDP application, he will review the permit and note the requirements for approval. For structures, habitable floors must be located at least two (2) feet above Base Flood Elevation (BFE), and a preconstruction and post construction elevation certificate is required. There will be additional construction requirements, such as the installation of flood vents, and the required location of hot water heaters. It is important that you contact the Gaston County Building Inspection Department for additional Building Permit requirements.

Kaleidoscopic, Inc.

Design and Code by Kaleidoscopic, Inc.
Powered By PageCraftCMS