Sep 12, 2016
City Council Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 12, 2016
Call to Order
Mayor Bryan Hough called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. The following were present:
Mayor Bryan Hough
Danny Jackson, City Manager
Mayor Pro Tem David Moore
Greg Beal, Planning Director
Councilman Jerry Bishop
Ryan Baker, Fire Chief
Councilwoman Carolyn Breyare
Ray Clemmer, Assistant Director of Utilities
Councilman Jeff Meadows
Dave Johnson, Utilities Director/City Engineer
Councilman Jim Hope
Don Roper, Chief of Police
Councilman Perry Toomey
Miles Braswell, Assistant City Manager
Kemp Michael, City Attorney
Africa Otis, Finance Officer
Reverend Charles McCorkle, Pastor at Wesley Chapel Holiness Church gave the invocation.
Pledge of Allegiance
Boy Scout Troop 59 of the First United Methodist Church in Mount Holly led attendees in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Set the Agenda
Mayor Hough advised that Items 2 and 9 regarding the annexation request need to be removed from the agenda. With no additional changes to the agenda Councilman Hope made a motion to approve the agenda as amended. Councilwoman Breyare seconded the motion. All Council Members voted in favor. (Motion carried)
- Call for a public hearing for review and recommendation for the adoption of Rules of Procedure for the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment under Section 12.2 and 13.2 of the Zoning Ordinance
- Approval of a resolution of support for the Bicycle Planning Grant for NCDOT
- Budget Amendment (Parks and Recreation-Victory Chevrolet Donation and Land of Frost Donation)
- Approval of ABC Commission Travel Policy
- Request for the Release of Cash Security for Dutchman's Ridge, Map 2
- Approval for the Release of the Maintenance Bond associated with the Beaty-Ferstl Intersection Improvements
- Approval of Resolution Declaring Surplus Property
- Approval of the minutes of the August 8, 2016 Council Meeting
- Approval of the minutes of the August 22, 2016 Work Session Meeting
- Councilman Toomey made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Mayor Pro Tem Moore seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
- Community Health Assessment Presentation
Ms. Abigail Newton with the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services came before the city Council to present the 2015 Gaston County Community Health Assessment. Each Health Department in NC is required to perform this assessment every 3 to 4 years. The Assessment describes health related issues and community opinions about county health issues.
- Presentation of a Resolution Honoring Daphne Barton for her Years of Service Volunteering with the Mount Holly Christmas Parade
Mayor Hough and the City Council presented Ms. Daphne Barton with a Resolution as a token of their appreciation for the years she has spent volunteering with the Mount Holly Christmas Parade.
- Introduction of Mount Holly Middle School Principal Jamie Peoples
Councilman Jim Hope introduced the new principal at Mount Holly Middle School, Ms. Jamie Peoples. Ms. Peoples thanked the Council and advised she is looking forward to good things in Mount Holly.
- Introduction of Police Chaplains
Chief Roper advised that several months ago, the Department started working with local clergy to establish a MHPD Chaplain program. At this time Chief Roper introduced Reverend Max Pendleton, Reverend Angela Pleasants, Reverend Charles McCorkle and Reverend Dump Harper. These are the MHPD Chaplains and with their help the department developed a policy to take care of the mind, body and spirit.
- Public Hearing regarding a request by Staff, for a text amendment to Article 3, 5, 6, and 7 of the Zoning Ordinance to reflect recommended uses with definitions.
Mr. DuPont advised that the goal of the amendments is to be proactive in the type of businesses that may come to the city but would not be permitted under the current ordinances. The amendments allow for Cluster Mailboxes, Brewery, Brew-pub, Distillery, Microbrewery, Outfitter, Taproom and Winery. The purpose of the proposed uses is to promote the long term viability in the City and diversity in the downtown area.
At this time, Councilwoman Breyare made a motion to enter into the public hearing regarding a request by Staff, for a text amendment to Article 3, 5, 6, and 7 of the Zoning Ordinance to reflect recommended uses with definitions. Councilman Bishop seconded the motion. All Council Members voted in favor. (Motion carried) With no one signed up to speak, Councilwoman Breyare made a motion to close the public hearing and return to open session. Councilman Toomey seconded the motion. All Council Members voted in favor. (Motion carried)
Mr. DuPont advised that the Planning Commission voted to table the decision and did not make a recommendation to the City Council. Councilman Bishop made a motion to approve the text amendment to Article 3, 5, 6, and 7 of the Zoning Ordinance to reflect recommended uses with definitions as presented. (Resolution 09122016A). Councilman Meadows seconded the motion. Motion carried with a 4/2 vote. Councilwoman Breyare and Councilman Hope voted against the motion.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Three (3) Minute Limit
109 Walnut Avenue
Mount Holly, NC 28120
Ms. Faulkenberry came before the City Council to invite them to participate in Life Chain of Gaston County. Life chain is an annual event of more than 650 people gathered to pray against abortion. Life Chain will take place October 2nd between 2:00-3:00pm on Main street and Catawba Avenue in Mount Holly.
701 East Charlotte Avenue
Mount Holly, NC 28120
Mr. Smith came before the City Council to complain that the City does not cut the grass on his side of the underpass. He has been trying to get the City to cut it for 2 years and there a rodents and snakes living less than 10 feet from his house.
- Closed Session - pursuant to N.C.G.S 143-318.11 (a)(3 and 6)
At this time Councilman Bishop made a motion to enter into closed session pursuant to NCGS 143-318.11 (a) (3 and 6). Mayor Pro Tem Moore seconded the motion. All Council members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
Councilman Bishop made a motion to return to open session. Mayor Pro Tem Moore seconded the motion. All Council members voted in favor. (Motion carried)
In open session, Councilman Meadows made a motion to appeal the case 16 CVS 1659 with NC Court of Appeals. (Resolution 09122016B). Councilman Bishop seconded the motion. All Council Members voted in favor. (Motion carried)
With no additional items for discussion, Mayor Hough entertained a motion to adjourn. Councilman Bishop made the motion to adjourn the September 12, 2016 Council Meeting. Mayor Pro Tem Moore seconded the motion. All Council members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
The meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.