Dec 12, 2011
City Council Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 12, 2011
Call to Order
Mayor Bryan Hough called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. The following were present:
Mayor Bryan Hough
Danny Jackson, City Manager
Mayor Pro Tem Carolyn Breyare
Jamie Guffey, Assistant City Manager
Councilman Jerry Bishop
Greg Beal, Senior Planner
Councilman Bennie Brookshire
James Friday, Director of Utilities
Councilman Jim Hope
Dale Oplinger, Fire Chief
Councilman David Moore
David Belk, Chief of Police
Councilman Perry Toomey
Mike Santmire, Streets and Solid Waste Director
Kemp Michael, City Attorney
Ed Smith, Recreation Director
Call to Order by Mayor Hough
Mayor Hough called the Mount Holly City Council meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Councilman Bennie Brookshire gave the invocation.
Pledge of Allegiance
Boy Scout Troop 59 of the First United Methodist Church in Mount Holly led attendees in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mayor Hough asked for any changes to the agenda. With no changes Councilman Moore made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Councilman Toomey seconded the motion. All Council members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
- Approval of Surplus Property—Utility Department
- Approval of Lien for the property located at 407 Tuckaseege Road
- Approval of Appointment to the ABC Commission
- Approval of the minutes for the October 24, 2011 work session meeting
- Approval of the minutes for the November 14, 2011 regular meeting
Councilman Bishop made a motion to approve the consent agenda. Councilman Moore seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
- Introduction of New Employees
From time to time newly hired employees are introduced at City Council Meetings. The Utilities Director, James Friday introduced Greg Roseberry, the new Assistant Superintendent for the Utility Department.
- Presentation of Employee Service Awards
The Mayor and City Council recognized the City Employees that had reached milestones in regard to their years of service with the City of Mount Holly.
- Presentation to the CRO from Mount Hollydays
Ms. Featherstone advised that they are still waiting on final numbers from Friday nights event before presenting to the CRO. She advised that Friday's Christmas Event was the biggest ever put on by Mount Hollydays and had the biggest crowd.
- Presentation to the CRO from the Mount Holly Christmas Concert
Mr. Ingle started by thanking the City Council for allowing him to before the City Council and the citizens of Mount Holly and make this official presentation to the CRO. At this time he presented the CRO with a check for $8166.02. He advised that this is the amount of the proceeds made from the Christmas Concert.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Three (3) Minute Limit
There was no one signed up to speak.
SWEARING –IN CEREMONY
- Oath of Office for Jason Gowen
- Oath of Office for Carolyn Holbrook Breyare
- Oath of Office for Perry Toomey
- Oath of Office for Mayor Bryan Hough
Jesse B. Caldwell III, Senior Resident Superior Court Judge administered the oaths of office to Mr. Gowen, Ms. Breyare, Mr. Toomey and Mayor Hough with their families present to assist with the swearing in ceremony.
- Recognition of Councilman Bennie Brookshire – Mayor Hough
At this time, Mayor Hough presented Councilman Bennie Brookshire with resolutions and various other tokens of appreciation from the City for their time spent serving the City of Mount Holly.
After the presentation, the newly elected Council took their seats to continue the meeting.
- Council Appointments
Planning Commission Appointments
- Mayor Pro Tem—Councilman David Moore
- City Attorney—Kemp Michael
- City Auditors—Martin and Starnes
- City Clerk—Amy Miller
- Tax Collector—Kim Sturgis
- Finance Officer—Africa Otis
Councilman Hope made a motion to approve the City appointments as listed above. Councilman Moore seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
At this time, Mayor Pro Tem Moore made a motion to re-appoint Danny Jackson as the City Manager. Councilwoman Breyare seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
Mr. Beal advised that Bill Gary, Carlton Broome, Thomas Springs and Ernest Stowe Jr. terms on the Planning Commission expire as of this month. He further advised that they have all agreed to serve another term if Council wishes to reappoint them. Councilman Bishop made a motion to reappoint Bill Gary, Carlton Broome, Thomas Springs and Ernest Stowe Jr. to the Planning Commission. Councilwoman Breyare seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
Recreation Commission Appointments
Mr. Smith advised that the Recreation Commission is reappointed by Council every election year during the organizational meeting. Councilman Bishop made a motion to reappoint the current membership of the Recreation Commission for an additional 2 years. Councilman Toomey seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
Approval of the 2012 Meeting Schedule
Mayor Pro Tem Moore made a motion to approve the 2012 Council Meeting Schedule as presented. Councilwoman Breyare seconded the motion. All Council Members present voted in favor. (Motion passed)
- Mayor Pro Tem Moore asked about the doors at the old gym. Mr. Smith advised that he had gotten three quotes for the repairs and is moving forward with the process.
- Councilman Toomey thanked Mr. Brookshire for the past four years that he spent on the Council.
- Councilwoman Breyare reminded everyone about the New Year's Eve Party being sponsored by Mount Hollydays. She advised that the proceeds will go to the CRO.
- Councilman Bishop commended Mr. Michael for his hard work obtaining the right of ways for the Sandy Ford Road Sewer Project.
- Mr. Jackson thanked Mr. Brookshire for serving on the City Council for the past four years and welcomed Councilman Gowen to the Council.
With no additional items for discussion, Mayor Hough entertained a motion to adjourn. Councilman Bishop made the motion to adjourn the December 12, 2011 Council meeting. Councilwoman Breyare seconded the motion. All members present voted in favor. (Motion carried)
The meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m.