Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination
Illicit connections are defined as "illegal and/or improper connections to storm drainage systems and receiving waters." Illicit discharges can be categorized as either direct or indirect.
Examples of direct illicit discharges:
- sanitary wastewater piping that is directly connected from a home to the storm sewer
- materials (e.g., used motor oil) that have been dumped illegally into a storm drain catch basin
- a shop floor drain that is connected to the storm sewer
- a cross-connection between the municipal sewer and storm sewer systems
Examples of indirect illicit discharges:
- an old and damaged sanitary sewer line that is leaking fluids into a cracked storm sewer line
- a failing septic system that is leaking into a cracked storm sewer line
Report Water Pollution
Contact 911 if the illicit discharge is creating a life threatening situation.
Contact the Stormwater Specialist: